Wednesday, January 03, 2007

See ya 2006!

As Brian will tell you, I'm not a big fan of odd-numbered years. Despite the fact that Kaylin, Brian and I were all born in odd-numbered years, I just don't like them. They make me feel uneasy. So it's with great pleasure that I look back at 2006 (a very even year) and recap my top ten favourite moments.

10. Kaylin gets her first "job". (See Kaylin's feeling "quity") We'll never know if she would have ever received any modeling assignments, but it's still really exciting to think she could have been a baby model. At the very least, it's something she can think of fondly when she hits that awkward not-so-attractive stage of puberty.

9. Always a bridesmaid. Four wonderful people were married this year, and I was lucky enough to stand up in their wedding parties - my brother Dennis and his wife Tina, and our friends Tiffany and Jeff. This, in turn, meant my very first pedicure. Yayy pedicures!

8. I return to work. Yes, I cried and screamed when it was time to put Kaylin in daycare. I didn't think I would survive the separation. But my first few weeks back at work were nothing less than lovely. Everyone was so happy to see me. I got to wear something other than jeans and I went for lunch! (Going for lunch is such an adult thing. Kaylin and I don't go to Milestones together very often.) Returning to work has helped me really appreciate my job, my coworkers, and how lucky I've been to work there for the past six years.

7. I quit my job. Despite the above, it was really fun to quit. OK, so I cried when I told my boss I was leaving, out of shear emotional release, fear of the unknown and sadness about leaving such a great job. But after a few days, it was fun to tell people that I had quit.

6. Kaylin takes her first steps. (See First Steps!) Human toes are miraculous things.

5. Kaylin and I go to the zoo....with daddy, with Auntie Sharon, with Karen, with KK's friends Tasha and Veronika and their mommies, and by ourselves. We definitely got our money's worth from the annual membership. It was particularly amazing watching how Kaylin's reactions to animals changed from visit to visit.

4. Kaylin says her first word - "kitty" - more accurately pronounced "keeeeee". (See Kitties, kitties everywhere) Sadly, in related news, I accidentally put Kitty in the drier last fall and permanently permed her beautiful, fluffy white fur. Kitty is not so cute now. And yet, Kaylin loves her to death.

3. Brian and I decide, after weeks of debate, to pick up and move to London to change our lifestyle and enable me to stay at home with Kaylin. (See The big move)

2. Kaylin cries it out. (See You told me so) I protested. I refused. I never thought I would let my child cry it out. But when your baby decides she won't go to sleep without three hours of rocking each night, your standards drop pretty quickly. Teaching Kaylin to go to sleep on her own was a life saver, for her and for me.

1. Kaylin says "mama" for the first time. [Insert sound of my heart melting here]

Happy New Year everyone!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, you might want to have a view of my toes before you make that carte blanche statement about human toes, Char. The good news is, soon you'll be in London and able to view my toes any time you want! :)

Happy 2007 kids!

Anonymous said...

yeah for a great 'even' year.... can not wait to share the next year with you guys close to home!!!! YEAH 2007!!!! Can not wait to actually meet this 'child' of yours too... :-)

Joanne said...

what a great recap. Don't fear the odd year - 2007 will be even better!