Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Fa la la la la

I'm not sure, but I think I had my first real taste of what it means to be a parent at Christmas time.

I had decided to buy Kaylin a babydoll set (doll, stroller, basinet, etc.) for Christmas and spent many trips to the toy aisle staring hopelessly at the assortment of dolls available. Some cried, some had blinking eyes, some wet themselves (no thanks, I have a real one already). Finally, I had found the exact one I wanted in the Canadian Tire flyer. But between Brian's recent late nights at work and the end of the Canadian Tire sale, I only had a tiny window of time when I could go and buy the doll. So I rushed out on a cold, slippery night to get it.

When I got to the store, there were only a few dolls left. But I only needed one. I grabbed the least banged-up box there and walked triumphantly to the checkout, beaming as I imagined my little girl's face as she ripped the wrapping paper off the box on Christmas morning. And as I strolled out to my car, freezing rain beating down on me and my new purchase...well, the only way I can describe it is to say it was just like that scene from The Grinch. I think my heart grew three sizes that day.

Now I understand why millions of parents stand in long department store lines, fight and struggle with other parents over Cabbage Patch Kids and Nintendo Wii's, and spend more than they can afford just so they can have that special present for their child under the Christmas tree. (Note: I do not condone the last two actions!)

Merry Christmas everyone! Wishing you short checkout lines and fight-free purchases.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely cannot wait for that Christmas that Emelia where she gets every bit as excited as I am about it.

Anonymous said...

oooooh K is going to LOVE it... and yes I now understand my mother in laws love for ToysRUs.ca!

Brian G said...

Look at that little tootoo neck wearing cutie!

I can't wait to see that little house gnome's eyes light up on Christmas morning!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy watching KayKay opening her gifts.
Merry Christmas to all.
Debbie