Sunday, December 30, 2007

K's Top Five of 2007

As you may recall, I mentioned in one of my previous posts (this one actually) that I am generally not fond of uneven years. So you can imagine my relief that 2007 is almost over. Not that it was a bad year. It was a stressful year. We sold our house and moved to a new city. I quit my job. Brian wondered, very early in the year at least, whether he had made a good move to his new job. But all that stress is behind us now. Life is great and I, for one, am looking forward to even more good times in 2008.

This is traditionally where a "look back at 2007" would go. But Brian suggested I do something different. So to spare you any sappy mommy-memories , I present...

Kaylin's Top Five Albums of 2007 (aka "What Kaylin demands we listen to when we drive around in the car"):











5. Raff
i, Singable Songs for the Very Young
There was about a week in March where the only song Kaylin wanted to hear was "Aikendrum". And you know what? I was ok with that. Also, this was the CD that taught Kaylin the words to "Down by the Bay" which she continues to butcher to this day.












4. Regina Spektor, Begin to Hope

Kaylin calls this one "A-ha", as in, "I want to listen to A-ha Daddy!". You have to listen to the first track, Fidelity, to know why. Let's just say that it's cute when she says that and move on.












3. Raffi, The Corner Grocery Store

Even more Raffi! If it weren't for his version of "Frere Jacques" lulling a screaming, tantrumming toddler to sleep on more than one occasion, I think I might have gone back to work about eight months ago.












2. Tegan and Sara, The Con

Probably the first non-children's CD that Kaylin "let" me listen to in the car. After one listen she actually started requesting it. But all she knew was that some girls were singing. So, to this day, she asks for "The Girls". I'm always happy to oblige a request for The Girls.












1. Jack Johnson, Sing-A-Longs and Lullabies for the film Curious George

We've been playing this CD for Kaylin long before she ever saw Curious George. But I think her love for the music was solidified once she watched the movie. Now she connects the two and never fails to tell me, while track 1 is playing, that Georgie is sad and he needs a soother to feel better. (She, of course, is referring to the film's moving opening where George is sad about being alone.)


Brian and I love music. So to know that we're helping to inspire a similar love in our little girl is pretty great. To quote a line from Jack Johnson, "This is how it's supposed to be."

Happy New Year everyone! See you in 2008.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I need to back you up a copy of this too:
http://paperbagrecords.com/catalogue/see-you-on-the-moon

Anonymous said...

yeah KK for letting mommy listen to some grown up music once in a while - and the GIRLS rock - good taste little girl good taste

Anonymous said...

I am so glad KayKay has such a love of music... It reminds me of her doing Ittsy Bittsy Spider... actions & a few words.... My absolute favorite was the clapping afterward... Don't you just love a job well done... Happy New Year to all...
Debbie