Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Living with NO

Welcome! Welcome to the world of NO! where every question posed to your toddler is answered with a resounding NO! Do you want supper? NO! Do you want to wear your hat outside? NO! It's a lovely little stage of development we like to call "The Terrible Twos."

Alright, it's not that bad. Well, actually, some days it is. The Terrible Twos have arrived at our house and I, for one, am ready to pack their bags back up and send them on their merry way. They crept into our house slowly, starting with a tiny tantrum here, a few uncalled-for tears there. Then, one day, the word NO came out flying out of Kaylin's mouth. It flew right out, shot across the room and landed behind the sofa. And we haven't been able to catch it since.

At first, we didn't mind living with NO--this little word allowed Kaylin a little more control over her world. We initially saw this as a good thing.

"Would you like carrots in your mac and cheese?"
"NO, I don't want carrots mommy."

Fine. I can live with no carrots.

But this past week, NO has grown into this horrible monster who stands next to Kaylin all day long and lunges at Brian and I when we ask the most innocent of questions.

"Do you want to colour a picture with me?"
"NOOOOOOOO! I don't want to colour a picture!"

"Can I change your diaper?"
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Don't touch my diaper!!"

"Will you please wear your coat in the sub-zero weather?"
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I don't want to wear my coat!!!"

Sigh. What are you gonna do? NO has the upper hand right now. Starting a fight with NO just results in a lot of tears, crayons strewn across the floor, and exhaustion on all fronts.

All we can do is hope that NO gets bored and decides to move on. Until then, if you see Kaylin outside with no coat on and a very wet diaper, don't blame me. Blame NO.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

as I sit with my wise mother in law who raised four boys including your close friend john gave some wise advice. Don't ask single questions? Instead of do you want carrots? The question is do you want carrots or peas - your choice. Just a thought -the answer might be a screaming no but anyone who can raise four boys has to have some insight... that and being a kindergarden teacher helps!!!!

Need a break you know where we are most days - sleepless on Waterloo Street

Anonymous said...

"No" is great; especially in 15 years. Don't discourage it.

BOY: Can I see your boobies, Kaylin?

KAYLIN: Nooooo, you canot see my boobies!

SKID: Do you want to smoke this marijuana, Kalyin.

KAYLIN: Noooooo, I don't want to smoke the dirty brown!

LIBERAL or NDP MP: Do you want to vote for me, Kaylin?

KAYLIN: Noooo, I don't want to vote for the tax-and-spend politician!

Be happy with "no".

Uncle Dennis

Brian G said...

ha ha ha ha, O Danielle, look at you trying to reason with "No!".

Your suggestion works wonders on kids who are over 2, but 2 is an evil age. I will tell you right now what the answer to "Do you want carrots or peas" is.

"No. I don't want carrots or peas".

See, she's one step ahead of us always. If you say to her "Do you want to watch Peep?" the answer is "No. I want to watch Peep." Then five seconds later. "I don't want to watch this one. I want to watch Monsters." Five seconds later, "No, I want to watch Peep. I don't want monsters."

Oh "no", you are a wiley one you are.

Anonymous said...

The answer is easy. Don't ask her anything. TELL her. And then if she tires to say no, settle it in the octagon!

Anonymous said...

I love how they test their cuteness... It brings a smile to my face remembering when Kaylin would just knock the offending items out of her way... Now she knows her words are heard... Kaylin likes the reaction she gets when she says "NOOOOOO'.... Your little angel is growing up... Take heart in the knowledge that in a few years it will be your turn again to say "NOOOOO you can't go out with that boy....LOL
Hugs to everyone.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Ok, as a parent of a 3 year old, almost 4 (as I was TOLD yesterday) - it does not get better. In hindsight the terrible twos was midly better than the "Holy Crap" three's. I tell myself the day she turns 4 she will become the angelic little child she was when she was 18 months, and not shout out things like "NO mommy, that is not a good idea, you go and find a better one" , yes she said that to me. Have fun with the 2's, brace yourself for the miserable threes, and get ready for the angelic 4's!

Leslie

Anonymous said...

Once again, I am so relieved to hear that I'm not alone. Did you know that 'No' has a twin who lives in BC?