Tuesday, October 16, 2007

What about me?

Just before our weekly yoga class was about to begin, my friend asked me when was the last time I went away without Brian and Kaylin. When was the last time I got away by myself? I couldn't give her an answer off the top of my head.

I spent the first half of that yoga class trying to remember a time I went away for a night and left Brian alone with Kaylin. There must be at least one time! This was really breaking my concentration; my downward dog was getting sloppy. Think, think, think. Aha! I remember, there was that weekend in Montreal with my three girlfriends...oh wait, I was 6 months pregnant at the time. Hmmmm, nothing else is really coming to mind.

OK, so I guess I haven't been away by myself in some time. That's not good, is it?

I spent the last half of that yoga class dreaming of where I could go for a little "me time." Would I hop a plane to some warm climate and sip fruity daiquiris on the beach? Well, that's a little out of my time- and price-range. Maybe a night visiting friends in another city? That could be fun, but they're all so busy with their own lives. Perhaps a weekend at my parents' house, cleaning out my childhood bedroom and eating (a lot of) my mom's delicious cooking? That might work.

Wherever I decide to go, I just know that it's time. It's time for me. I need to be able to hear myself think. I need to not plan my day around nap schedules and snack time. I need to sit down for a meal before the meal starts, not after everyone else has what they need and are already eating. I need to be selfish. I need to feel like me again.

Whatever I decide to do, just know that there will be NO diapers in my purse, there will be NO Raffi playing on my car's CD player, and there will be LOTS of sleeping on my part. It's going to be good.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Char.....I think some "you" time is a great idea! I would like to offer up my house in the city....a place you are familiar with, as a potential city retreat...a home base...if you'd like a few days exploring the city, or some sleep in time (I won't let gracie and Syd wake you up) or some girl pal chit chat or shopping, or demetre's crepe eating....I am game!!! Jo

Leanne said...

Here Here! *raises glass*

Don't feel bad, I have never left Chris alone for the night with the kid(s), either.
I agree it is time!

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!! You deserve a weekend away. Think of us sleepless/breastfeeding mamas when you are having a full night sleep and a yummy drink or 10!

I have never left Emelia for a night - then again she does not like John's hairy chest when she nurses! :-)

Anonymous said...

If it wasn't for my hairy moobs, I would get away for a night too.

Brian G said...

Wow...I've only suggested this for 2 years. Good plan. From what I've heard I'm relatively responsible, and I've only nearly cut off ONE of my child's fingers in the last 2 years.

Anonymous said...

Char..you are welcome to join my sister and I on our annual retreat to St.Anne's spa..I strongly reccommend it!!! :-)
Andrea

Anonymous said...

ONTARIO
SUPERIOR COURT OF JUSTICE
OCTOBER 18, 2007

CEASE & DESIST ORDER

UPON THE MOTION of Dennis John Kish, counsel for Kaylin Elizabeth Garside (a.k.a. KK), heard on the 18th day of October, 2007;

IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that Charlene Garside shall cease and desist from publishing any comments, remarks, statements, admonitions, announcements, cautions, caveats, circulars, declarations, clues, opinions , critiques, cues, directives, instructions, manifestos, advertisements, advice, memos, notes, proclamations, reviews, warnings, communications, or criticisms, of any kind ("Comments"), on this Blog that are about herself, unless said Comments are directly related to KK.

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED THAT Charlene Garside shall get her own Blog if she wishes to talk about herself and not about KK.

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED THAT KK rules.

HONOURABLE MADAM JUSTICE BEATRICE KOTTER.

Anonymous said...

Good thinking Char... get away and let Brian and Kaylin have a father/daughter weekend... let them start a tradition... who knows if it will continue well into her teens... that way you get away without the guilt feelings creeping in... because we all know they will creep in... be selfish for a change... Brian is behind you 100% on this... ENJOY....
Hugs to KayKay
Debbie

Anonymous said...

come to another city to visit friends...we would gladly use your visit as a chance to have some me time too! I suggest wine. gossip and lots and lot of giggles