Sunday, October 07, 2007

Being thankful

After being in London for just over seven months now, I can say without hesitation that moving here was probably THE best decision Brian and I have ever made in our lives. Just this past week, the stars seemed to be aligning. Everything is going so well for us right now, knock on wood, that I’m actually a bit giddy about our future. Giddy!

Brian’s really found his niche at work; he is inspired and confident. And he gets good bonuses. Yayy for bonuses. We can afford to pay our property taxes!

As for me, well, where do I start? Staying at home with Kaylin is such a treat. She
’s really into having living room picnics right now. Twice a day we sit together at a 16 square inch doll blanket (sometimes with a stuffed monkey named Ralph, sometimes not), eat raisins and pretend to drink from plastic cups. Need I say more?

And, with Kaylin as my excuse, I’ve developed some wonderful friendships with some amazing women. They are moms who, like me, are just trying to “keep their shit together”. No supermoms here. We get together at least once a week and vent about life. And we drink a lot of coffee while our children yank toys out of each other’s hands. Play dates really are excellent therapy.

To top it all off, I just got my first gig doing some volunteer writing and editing for a local parenting magazine. My plan to become a freelance copy editor is taking shape quite nicely. (I’ll let you know more about this after I get a few assignments under my belt.)

Add to this some great neighbours, wonderful family - most of whom are even closer, and the fact that it’s autumn, my favourite time of year. Well, as I said to Brian tonight, I’m very happy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrat's writing gig! If I knew you were looking to do some writing and editing I could have gotten you to write & edit our blog!

But seriously, we're quite happy to have you guys here. Thankful even.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, on your freelance writing, living-room picnics, and being happy... Life is good!!!!! I'm thankful Brian was able to get the job in London. I'm thankful for having met Kaylin and her wonderful parents.
Hugs from Debbie

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to your visit in a couple of weeks, Little Sister. If you like Fall, then we have a treat for you.

Uncle Dennis

Brian G said...

...you're gonna push her down the stairs? Charlene likes fall Dennis, not TO FALL.

;)

Anonymous said...

I said, "I have a treat for you", not, "I have a THREAT for you."

Uncle Dennis