Wednesday, January 31, 2007

We'll miss you daycare

Six months ago, I started transitioning Kaylin into daycare. On our second day there together, I watched as another woman pushed my baby girl in a stroller, away from me, and into a world where I wasn't needed. I lost it. I turned away so Kaylin wouldn't see me and shook with grief, unsure if I could handle leaving my baby with someone else during the day. I cried for the next hour as each of Kaylin's new daycare teachers consoled me and handed me tissues, assuring me they would take excellent care of my baby.

Today was Kaylin's last day at daycare and I cried again. But for different reasons. As difficult as the past few months have been - getting Kaylin used to daycare, all the sickness that comes with being exposed to so many new kids, leaving her all day - we were fortunate enough to find an amazing daycare. Kaylin learned a lot while there, and most importantly, had so much fun (as you can see here, dancing with her best friend Taylor).

Which made today that much more difficult. It should have been a happy day for me. But I was sad. Sad that Kaylin wouldn't see her teachers and little friends again. The hardest part was saying goodbye to Debbie, one of her teachers and a woman who probably loves Kaylin as much as I do (well, almost).

Each night when I picked Kaylin up, Debbie told me funny stories about that day, often letting me know that Kaylin was "too smart for her own good." Nothing makes a parent feel better than knowing how much others enjoy their child's company.

Kaylin had a grand farewell party today, complete with cake and gifts. But it was tough saying good-bye. Debbie could barely look at Kaylin today without tearing up. And I could barely look at Deb. But finally, at the end of the day, Deb and I hugged good-bye and cried together. We'll miss Debbie and everyone else at daycare.

2 comments:

Brian G said...

MySchool, Jen, and Deb were by far the best things about Kaylin being in Daycare. That place was amazing, and the change in the Kegger from when she cried every day, to the last few times when I dropped her off and she'd literally run to the door shaking the gate to get in was amazing. This last six months has helped to make Kaylin so much more sure of herself, and the fact that Jen and Deb would carry on the lessons that we were teaching Kaylin (and often extend them even further) are some of the reasons that our little girl is as bright as she is.

My favourite thing though was walking up to the door on the few times that I got to pick Kaylin up (I used to be the designated Drop Off Daddy until I started my new job in December), and I'd see her sitting there in Deb's lap, invariably reading a story.

Thanks to Deb, Jen, Evelyn, Victoria, Mabel, and all the other awesome folks at MySchool for everything they did for our little nerdling.

If you live in the Ajax/Whitby area and you happen upon this posting through a Google Search, don't hesitate to call MySchool, it's a terrific daycare.

Anonymous said...

I only hope we can find a place like that for our little bundle o joy. But then again, I don't even want to think about that just yet. ;)