Thursday, January 25, 2007

Goodnight cubicle, goodnight desk...

Tomorrow is my last day of full-time, "out of the home", work. Not forever, I'm sure. But for a while.

After tomorrow, I'm going to be a full-time mom. I'll admit, my feelings about this change from hour to hour. Naturally, I'm really excited to be able to spend my days with Kaylin, watching her grow and helping her to learn about the world. What better job is there than to spend these early years with your child? I also feel really lucky to have such a supportive husband who is willing to carry the financial weight while I manage the household. Thankfully, we're on the same page when it comes to how we want to raise our children. And my plan is to get into freelance work that I can do from home. So I'm really leaving the working world so much as leaving the traditional work place.

But a part of me is going to miss going to work and that independence I have when I'm there. Going window shopping at lunchtime, grabbing a coffee with a coworker, eating out. Yes, I can do all these things with Kaylin, but not necessarily on my schedule or with the freedom I can when I'm on my own. I won't even mention going to the bathroom on my own.

I'm also fearful that I'll forget "how" to work. Sounds silly, but who knows what things will be like when I return to the working world in a few years. Technology moves at such a pace that email could be obsolete by then! Will I forget how to interview for a job? How will employers perceive the gap in my resume?

I think I'm just feeling wistful about my last days on the job. I'm going to miss the work I do and all the people I do it with. It's been a great six and a half years. But I know that, for me and my family, there is no better option than for me to be home with Kaylin. It is going to be amazing. And by this time next week I'm sure I'll be thinking, "job? What job?"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

With that husband of yours and the friends he has, you're likely to never be far behind in technology… Though I am not sure XBox's and iPhones are jobs unto themselves. But we'll find out for ya!

Anonymous said...

Dear little sister,

Except for that odd-numbered year thing (no more freaky revelations please), I've always known you to be a loving, intelligent and sensible person. I think you've made a wonderful decision for the sake of your child. Stay-at-home moms get no respect in our society but I can't think of a more important job to have. You can put that on you resume with pride (I'm a Mommy!). I'm proud of Brian, too, for looking after his family so well. When Kaylin gets that scholarship to Harvard at the age of 15, she'll know who to thank.

Your big sister,
Auntie Sweater

PS: Don't forget what I told you - If Kaylin grows up to be a pill-popping raver, I'll turn you over my knee and whack you till you ass falls off.

Anonymous said...

Dear Char, I also stepped out of the work force many years ago to spend those precious days with my children and oh how I loved every second.
You are such a great Mommy and I know you will also cherish every moment with Kaylin. Enjoy.
New title Domestic Engineer.
Kaylin your such a lucky little girl to have Mommy home with you.

Anonymous said...

You and miss K are sooo lucky. As I look at Emelia I can not imagine one day that I will have to go back to my work (that I hate!!!) and give my angel girl to someone else. I am truly envious that you and K have this precious time together!!!

Can not wait until you and your family are here so we can have some play dates together - can not promise that Emelia will play at the same level (she is only 3 days old) but you and I can hang out and watch the girls!!!

Brian G said...

Good news for you Danielle, Kaylin LOVES to play with her baby doll. Of course she also has a tendancy to whack said baby doll into things when she carries her around the house...but umm, at least she's trying!

I'm very proud of Charlene for having the courage to uproot her life in every manner, to leave a house we love, and neighbours we appreciate, to move to a city that's not her "home base", and give our whole family a new, hopefully better life.

Of course that said, it won't stop me from printing out this post so that I can remind her what a great husband and father she said I am!

Anonymous said...

I envy you Char. You made a very difficult decision, but the point is that you had the choice. I sure wish I had the option of making the same decision as you. I don't know how I'm going to survive going back to my 'other' job tomorrow, knowing it isn't me caring for my precious Bradyn every day. On the bright side, that first year sure is incredible isn't it?