Sunday, April 06, 2008

Our big girl

Kaylin put her own sock on today. I kid you not, it was really exciting. It's just one in a long line of thrilling things our "big girl" has been doing lately. Here are a few more, just to give you a sense:
  • She does up the buckles in her carseat by herself. It takes about 5 minutes and makes us late wherever we go, but she does it herself.
  • She's been using the potty intermittently and even goes into the bathroom on her own, shutting the door behind her, telling me she's going to do it herself.
  • She's sitting on a normal kitchen chair--no more booster seat!
  • She put her own toothpaste on her toothbrush today.
  • She can "read" me a few of her books from front to back completely from memory! That one amazes me.
  • She calls us "mom" and "dad". She also calls us "guys," which is the funniest thing ever.
  • She can ride her tricycle a bit. It's going to take more practice, but her first time out this spring was a big success.
  • She tells us all the time that she's a "big girl" and she can do things all by herself.
Of course, it's all bittersweet. You never want your child to stop being your little baby. You want them to stay small, and sweet and completely hugable. In fact, I tell Kaylin to stop growing all the time. But like any two year old, she never listens!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww... :-)

Funny, Veronika also refers to us "guys" which makes me laugh. Also when Dominik doesn't respond to her right away when she calls him "dad", she quickly changes it to "Dom" or "Dominik". She has yet to refer to me by my first name.

Kaylin- CONGRATULATIONS on many firsts!
Andrea

Brian G said...

lol, that's funny Andrea, Char didn't also mention that when Kaylin wants me to call her mom she says "You call Pie?". She also calls me Brian occasionally when the mood strikes her

Anonymous said...

I can sense the sadness in your writing.... Just remember KayKay maybe not need you as much in the coarse of a day, but there will be days she will need you to help steer the coarse. Please give BIG hugs to the Big girl...
Debbie