Monday, September 17, 2007

There are no words


I've been in a bit of a slump lately, feeling sorry for myself and complaining about my "oh-so-tiring" existence as a stay-at-home mother. Just see my last post for a refresher.

Well, I quickly snapped out of it this weekend after reading a short news article in the Toronto Star. We've all read about them before..."mother charged with abuse after child brought to hospital with two broken ribs..." or "father charged with assault after infant found with bruises on back..." Unspeakable things happen to tiny children every day. It breaks my hearts, as I'm sure it does yours. I don't normally read these articles. I'd rather not know that all this is happening outside my front door.

But this weekend I read one. I read the whole article. And by the end I was sobbing. To sum it up for you, a mother came home to find her two-year old daughter sitting up in bed and crying, her face scalded by hot water to the point that her eyelids were sollen shut and large sores were forming, while the girl's father sat in the living room watching TV.

The man claimed it was an accident. He argued that he didn't have any money to take the little girl to the hospital in a cab. So, instead, he watched TV while this innocent little girl sat alone in her bedroom, crying, burning, wondering what she had done to deserve such a fate and knowing that she couldn't find any sympathy or love in the man who sat out in the living room. This tiny toddler stayed in her little bed, in pain, for hours, until her mommy came home and took her to the hospital. I cannot fathom how someone can hurt a small child and leave them to suffer just steps away. Even worse, I can't even begin to imagine what deep sadness that child must have felt, knowing that her own father wouldn't do anything to help her. I hope I never come close to experiencing such an emotion.

I read this and all I wanted to do was wake Kaylin up from her nap and hug her and tell her I love and tell her that her mommy and daddy will never, ever let something like this happen to her.

I also felt a renewed joy in being a mother. I have the energy, the will, and the resources to give my child a wonderful life. How lucky am I? So many parents don't and so they lash out the only people they know can't fight back - their children.

I guess I just want to sa that I'm in a particularly thankful spirit right now. I'm "snapping out" of my tired-mom mood and I'm going to keep trying to be the best mom I can be. Because that's what every child deserves, especially my own.

4 comments:

Brian G said...

You're a good mom. One look at the confident, bold little bean you've managed to create is all you need to know that.

Anonymous said...

I read this post in two parts. One where I was in horror. The second after I picked up Emelia, hugged her and told her I love her forever.

I am glad you're out of the funk, because it's not somewhere someone like you should feel you belong. You're good people. Just cause you are. (And cause you worry about things that you do)

Anonymous said...

At my most frustrated moments with Emelia can I imagine doing anything harmful to her.

As for a mommy funk we have all had them - it is from loving another person more than you love yourself and wanting only the best for them. You are an amazing mommy Char and have been an amazing friend to us.

Anonymous said...

Some people don't have the life skills to deal with all the questions and chatter from little people. We all have times when it would be so nice to only answer the question once. Char, there isn't anything you wouldn't do for Kaylin. You would put yourself in harms way before anything or anyone could get to Kaylin. I still have a hard time reading stories about little ones being hurt by people they trust.
Great big Hugs to all
Debbie