Thursday, September 06, 2007

At least I'm not alone

It's 2pm on a Thursday afternoon and I'm frustrated, tired and annoyed. It's one of those days where I wish I worked outside of the home just so I could get a coffee break. It's Kaylin's nap time but she has been bouncing around in her crib for over 40 minutes now. Meanwhile, I'm in the next room losing my mind.

Yes, staying at home with Kaylin has its definite advantages. I don't miss a single moment of her day. I get to do all sorts of fun and interesting things with her. We sometimes hang out in our PJs until 10am. And I can get a hug and a kiss from her any time I want. I really do love it.

But, as I explained to Brian the other day, being a stay-at-home mom is like any job. There are days that you love your job and days that you want to quit.

And when someone's been "on the job" for hours on end without any time to stop and have a break, it's not unreasonable for that person to get tired, cranky and irritated--if not a bit irrational--when things aren't goint well. I mean, we've all cursed at the office printer for refusing to print that overdue report, haven't we? So it's completely normal that I might get a little short with my toddler when she exerts her own will and refuses to sleep. Right?

I used to think I was a bad mom because I sometimes got frustrated with Kaylin. But I was relieved and, to be honest, thrilled to find out that the other moms in our playgroup have all felt the same way! Who knew?

That's why I look sooooo forward to getting together with other moms on a regular basis. It's comforting to open your front door to find that same tired, "I-hardly-slept-last-night" look in someone else's eyes. It's nice knowing that you're not alone in the sometimes-scary world of child-rearing. And it can be scary, let me tell you!

Well, it's been almost a full hour of crib-bouncing. I think I've lost my coffee break today. I'd better go spring the toddler from her "prison" so we can carry on with our day. Maybe I'll get that break tomorrow. Maybe not.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Char, Danielle REALLY looks forward to that group too. especially because you and Michelle and now Leanne have been where she is right now. And with the starting of this sleep coaching this week, she said more than once, how much she valued the conversations she had with you guys as well as the thoughtful emails from all of you.

Some times when Emelia puts two fists in my throat and cries at great volume in my ear, I get a little frustrated too. But I put that feeling to check pretty quick when I realize I have a fraction of the stress and pressure that a Mommy must feel and am around for it way fewer hours.

You should know that we and me importantly you for the job you do.

Anonymous said...

the missing word in the last sentence is "admire" and it goes between importantly and you.

Anonymous said...

Just want to send you *hugs*, and yes, you are not alone!!!
Andrea

Anonymous said...

Every parent can feel your frustration. We all know what it feels like to be at the end of your rope. Nap time is our way of re-charging the batteries before having to resume the chase of the toddler. This has just been a little battle of independence on Kaylin's part. Just remember they do like to test their cuteness. Hang in there you are doing a great job.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

Don't forget: no pay; no benefits; your boss is more than 30-years your junior; and your co-worker (Brian) sexually harrasses you regularly. Cheer Up! You're an outstanding Mom.

Uncle Dennis

p.s. But for the harrasment from Brian, I'd still trade you jobs any day! Kaylin is an angel with little white wings.

Anonymous said...

Oh Char, you are so not alone. I might work out of the home, but that just makes it all the more annoying and frustrating when what precious time you do have is ruined by their tantrums. Hang in there, and keep going to the group - those mommy friends are lifesavers!!!