Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Who are you and what did you do with my baby?


I'm not sure what happened. Kaylin went to sleep one night a baby and woke up the next morning a little person! All joking aside, the past few weeks have seen some of the most amazing changes in Kaylin. She's changed so much and so quickly and, while it's the funnest thing in the world to watch, it also makes me a little sad to see my "baby" gone for good!

Over the past few weeks, she's begun speaking in full sentences, the most common of which begins with "I want...". My favourite request today was, "I want apple juice in a cup." (Because apparently she disliked the juice box I had offered her earlier.) Her imagination is blossoming before our eyes. She tells us stories about all sort of people and events...both real and fictional...all day ("Dinosaurs fly in sky" she tells me, referencing the dino-shaped hot air balloon we saw last night). She lets me know when she doesn't feel well ("Mommy, my 'beddy' hurts!"). She sings full songs, the most hilarious of which is "Down By the Bay", which tonight included the line, "Did you ever see daddy kissing a goose?"

She's becoming very sensitive to people's emotions, particularly crying babies she hears in the mall ("Baby's cry-ning! She needs sooder!") She's learning the rules and enforcing them on her own ("No pushing daddy!") And she's started asking about things around her, such as "What's that?" or "Who's that?"

And finally, as you can see in the picture above, she put her own boots on today! (On the wrong feet, mind you, but I wasn't even in the room and she did it all by herself!) She looks pretty proud, doesn't she?

Brian and I can't get over how quickly she's developing at this stage. She blows our mind on a daily basis and more often than not, makes us cry from laughter at the things one tiny toddler can dream up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother said that there was no prouder moment, albeit wistfully at the expense of losing his snuggle-bug baby, when he saw the first signs of his son's independence. One morning he caught him playing with his figures and there were scenarios, dialogue and plot lines. He said while he knew he was growing up too fast there was more pleasure in those moments.

I really have gained a new appreciation for my parents in the last 6 months I tell you!

Brian G said...

Unfortunately we've never really had a snuggle-bug. Kaylin is the Ryan of kids, robotic innards and all. Doesn't particularly like hugs, isn't too fond of all of the kisses (Stoppit daddy, stoppitt!!!), and definately doesn't like public displays of affection.

However she seems to like marshmallows, cotton candy, and blue shaved ice (or Slush Puppies). For those reasons alone I shall keep her around, and force her into hug situations whenever I can.

Char said...

Speak for yourself daddy. I can ask her for a smooch any time of day and she comes over to me, lips first, and plants one on me.

Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Kaylin is such an amazing little soul. I just love her smile. Her whole face lights up when she flashes that grin. It is so hard to believe she will be two shortly. Just where did the time go. Please give her big hugs from Debbie. If you are ever in the area please stop by the daycare. We would love to see all of you.
Debbie