Tuesday, August 22, 2006

D-Day

It's here. The day I've been dreading for over a year now: Kaylin's first day at daycare. As the first day of a two-week transition into our daycare, Kaylin and I spent an hour there this morning. While Kaylin had lots of fun playing with a room full of toys she'd never seen before, I was not so joyous. In fact, shell-shocked about describes how I felt.

I imagined this morning would be calm and quiet. I pictured a nice little meeting with Kaylin's daycare provider, telling her all about our normal routine, what Kaylin likes and doesn't like, what words and signs she knows. Then the provider would look at me, notice the worry and concern in my eyes, gently touch me on the shoulder and say, "It's all right mom, we're going to take wonderful care of your little angel."

Instead we arrived to loud children's music, a crying baby, and seven other little ones scrambling around crashing toys and other plastic objects to the ground. It probably took me about five minutes before I even considered putting Kaylin down. I was sure she would instantly turn around and give me the "pick me up" arms. But she didn't. She wandered over to a new-to-her toy and began playing. That made me feel a lot better.

In fact, she seemed to have a lot of fun this morning. She probably thinks we were at some fun place where kids meet to play for a while. Little does she know that she's going back there again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day...

I'd better bring a box of Kleenex tomorrow.

4 comments:

Brian G said...

Pie, I wish with my heart of hearts that you didn't have to go back to work. I know you love your time with the Kegger, and I'm sad that you two won't have nearly as much time together.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with this, Char. I know it's a tough time for mommies - the end of that first glorious year together. But, she and you will both appreciate the time you spend together all the more.

Char said...

Thanks John. You know, for such a smartass, you sure are a sensitive dude. You're going to be a terrific dad.

As for you Darkside, just you wait till you start dropping her off next week and she's standing at the daycare door with the "up-up" arms, screaming, tears rolling down her face. Just you wait!

Anonymous said...

I am sooo sorry Char - I know that you have been dreading this day - your little sweetie seems to be adjusting very well.

And as for John he only plays a guy on TV - we think he has one ovary!!!!