Sunday, February 05, 2006

Enough already

If I may rant for a moment, I'd like to speak out against a disturbing trend I've noticed lately - the excessive use of phrasal verbs in Do-It-Yourself-type shows and articles. It's driving me bonkers!

Here are a few examples. Home decorators and designers no longer just paint. Instead they've started using the term paint out, as in "I'm going to paint out this old table and give it a fresh new look". Puhleeeeze. And chefs no longer simply bake, they bake off, as in "I'll bake off this cake in a 400 degree oven for 35 minutes." Ick. I even heard someone describe taking a shower as showering down. What the?

I believe in speaking plainly. Say what you mean for Pete's sake! Why pad your descriptions of everyday activities, like painting and baking, with unnecessary fluff just to make what you're doing sound more complicated? It's just painting!

Thanks for listening. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go diaper out my baby and drink off a cup of coffee.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

And count me in as I comment off your blog!:-P