Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Boy oh boy

Well, if ultrasound technology is as accurate as they say, then it looks like we're having a boy! It wasn't a total surprise to us. I mean, the Chinese gender-predicting calendar said it was a boy (and it was right with Kaylin too). My own "mother's intuition" felt this one was a boy. And my neighbour told me we were having a boy--the same neighbour who is happily managing twins with way more finesse than any new mom should possess, so I know she has developed some sixth sense when it comes to babies.

I will be honest. I have mixed emotions. Not really about having a boy. Well, ok, I am a bit nervous about how different a boy will be. As Brian will tell you, I don't handle change well. And this is a big change. I'm used to girls. I'm used to all the lovely pink clothes (which I never thought I would enjoy, but I so do!) I'm used to the little dolls, the tea sets, the princess crowns, and the play jewelry. And as I found out during a recent playdate with Kaylin's friend Jacob, I know nothing about sports. (And not to stereotype gender preferences, but they really seem to develop naturally in children.)

In reality, I am very excited about having a boy. Having a second child is thrilling enough, but having one of the opposite gender is going to be fascinating, I'm sure. And I'm happy for Brian too. Sure, Kaylin enjoys looking at comic books with him, and she knows the names of several characters (her favourite being Beast Boy, of course). But someday that interest will be replaced with a love for all things Hannah Montana. So it's nice to know that daddy will likely have someone who can join him in his Marvel universe.

What I'm a little sad about is Kaylin's clothes. I have bins and bins full of girl's clothes and, more importantly, memories of my first little baby who wore all those clothes. It's going to be hard to say goodbye to those one day. Maybe I'll keep them around for a few more years...who knows what the future holds!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about sports. (And not to stereotype gender preferences, but they really seem to develop naturally in children.)

hahahahaha have you met your husband? The only man I know who had a job at TSN and still did not like sports other than UFC!

Just remember one thing - boys LOVE their mommies!!! Lots of more snuggling time. As for the clothes - I am sure we can find some cute business casual outfits for your son that will make you forget all the pink clothes that you packed up. Just think - black shirt and beige pants are easier to find for boys :-)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations... A millionaire's family. Now you & Brian can each have a Mini Me... LOL.... Just remember when changing a boy...KEEP IT COVERED... It will only happen once. In all honesty, they are just as much fun & entertaining. Sending hugs. OOOOOOOOOOO
Debbie

Anonymous said...

The important thing is you have bins and bins of useless, but very cute girls clothes. You two have great taste in clothes. And coincidentally we have a girl!

HAHAHAHAHAAA I kill myself!

Char said...

Unfortunately John, our kids are basically the same size at this point!

Anonymous said...

NEPHEW VIABILITY QUESTIONAIRRE

Will you put the little nephew in:

1. Hockey or figure skating?

2. Karate or ballroom lessons?

3. Baseball or soccer?

4. Guitar or violin lessons?

5. Highschool football or gymnastics?

Uncle Dennis

Char said...

Dear Uncle Dennis,

The answer to all of the above is likely: comic book collecting lessons.

Anonymous said...

Don't evade. Complete the Questionairre.

Uncle Dennis

Anonymous said...

Char,

those are my feelings as well...I am in my 31st week and to be honest I am still getting used to the idea of having a little boy. My reaction to the news also included: I am happy for Dominik, but sad for Veronika...I LOVE having a sister..hopefully Nika will be close to her brother.

Congrats again, I am looking forward to joining you on this new journey :-)

Andrea